We aren't sure how much, if any, we will travel, but we will certainy spend a great deal of our time right in Colorado Springs, which happens to be my mother's home town. Didn't I say that this mission was just made for us? Also, our good friends Tom and Patty live in the portion of Kansas that is included in our mission. We hope to reconnect with them during our time there.
Today we spoke in our home ward. I guess you could call it a mission farewell- even though they don't technically exist. My talk was entitled "These Things I Believe". I testified to these 5 gospel principles.
- We are children of Heavenly Father and He knows and loves each one of us.
- Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer -Through his Atonement we can be forgiven of our sins.
- After his crucifixion, Christ rose from the dead- breaking the bonds of death for all mankind.
- The Book of Mormon is the word of God and contains truths unto salvation and guidance for our life on earth.
- Our Prayers are answered.
Fred took his talk from the war chapters of the book of Alma. He talked about "Strongholds", both in the Book of Mormon times and in our day. He warned that leaving our strongholds places us in danger, but staying within them provides us protection. We should cling to such strongholds as prayer, scripture study, following the Prophet- and so on. He shared his personal experience in Afghanistan and how he lost one of his troops who removed his body armor. He did such a good job of reminding us to hold to our strongholds.
Today I felt the reality of our mission call stronger than ever- and that it is so very close.